Representing the 4th District of Connecticut

Social Media Icons Fontawesome Small Header

Twitter Facebook YouTube Follow Jim Hines on RSS

Energy Assistance

Each year, as winter approaches, my office fields calls from constituents asking about help with home energy costs. The programs in place to help people heat their homes are administered through the state of Connecticut, not through the federal government. Please see the below services that can directly help.

The Contingency Heating Assistance Program (CHAP) and Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) have very similar names, but different qualification requirements and benefits. Both are administered by the Connecticut Department of Social Services. Program dates, eligibility requirements, benefit levels and more are described at the DSS website.

These programs are coordinated locally by authorized "Community Action Agencies."  You can call InfoLine at 2-1-1 for more information, or contact one of the Community Action Agencies located in or near the Fourth District.

  • TEAM, Inc. (Derby-Ansonia-Shelton area) (203) 736-5420
  • Action for Bridgeport Community Development, Inc. (203) 384-6904
  • CTE, Inc. (Stamford area) (203) 352-4846