Each year, as winter approaches, my office fields calls from constituents asking about help with home energy costs. Below is information on federal and state programs that may be able to help.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) assists eligible low-income households with their heating and cooling energy costs, bill payment assistance, energy crisis assistance, weatherization and energy-related home repairs. Click here to visit the LIHEAP site.

The Contingency Heating Assistance Program (CHAP) and Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP)
The CHAP and CEAP have very similar names, but different qualification requirements and benefits. Both are administered by the Connecticut Department of Social Services. Program dates, eligibility requirements, benefit levels and more are described at the DSS website.

These programs are coordinated locally by authorized "Community Action Agencies." You can call InfoLine at 2-1-1 for more information, or contact one of the Community Action Agencies located in or near the Fourth District.