Help With A Federal Agency 

It can be difficult to navigate the maze of the federal government. My office can serve as a  liaison between you and a federal agency. This includes: finding out the status of a case,  requesting additional information, and requesting an expedited response or decision. If you  have questions, call my office at (203)333-6600. 

While my office can make inquiries on your behalf, we cannot guarantee a positive outcome in  all situations. It is important to note that my office does not have any decision-making  authority, and the respective agencies have complete discretion concerning decisions on  individual cases. 

To receive assistance from my office, please fill out a Digital Privacy Waiver. 

If you're writing us about an IRS, USCIS, and Passport cases, please note these agencies require paperwork with a wet signature. We will be in touch with this paperwork once you submit your electronic inquiry to our office. 

Complete Privacy
Form and Open a Case

If you'd rather use a paper form, a printable PDF can be found here. This form can be faxed to  (203) 333-6655 or mailed to my office at 350 Fairfield Ave. Suite 603, Bridgeport, CT 06604 

If you have questions, please call 203-333-6600 and a member of my staff will be pleased to  assist with your question. 

Not a constituent of Connecticut’s 4th District? 

To find your Congressional representative, click here.  

Having an issue with a Connecticut state agency? 

Contact your state legislator. You can find your legislator here.

Having an issue with a local matter, such as your roads, city services or schools?
Please call your City or Hall Town.

Common Inquiries  

Below are summaries of governmental and non-profit agencies that might be able to help constituents with specific problems.  

Government Institutions and Agencies with which we can assist: 

If you have questions, please call 203-333-6600 and a member of my staff will be pleased to assist with your question.