Representing the 4th District of Connecticut

Help With A Federal Agency

Sometimes it can be difficult to navigate the maze of the federal government. My office can serve as a liaison between you and a federal agency. Some federal agencies you may be familiar with include the Social Security Administration (SSA), Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Veterans Administration (VA). Below you can find a list of federal agencies my office can assist with, and some examples of the type of assistance provided.

The role of my office when assisting constituents with federal agencies is to make inquiries on your behalf with the respective agencies. This includes: finding out the status of a case, requesting additional information, and requesting an expedited response or decision.

While my office can make inquiries on your behalf, we cannot guarantee a positive outcome in all situations. It is important to note that my office does not have any decision-making authority, and the respective agencies have complete discretion concerning decisions on individual cases.

How to obtain assistance from my office:

1. Determine if you reside in Connecticut's 4th Congressional District

Congressional courtesy, ethics rules and propriety dictate that each Member of Congress has the honor and responsibility to serve his or her own constituents.

I represent residents of seventeen cities and towns in Connecticut, those who live in Bridgeport, Darien, Easton, Fairfield, Greenwich, Monroe, New Canaan, Norwalk, Oxford, Redding, Ridgefield, Stamford, Trumbull, Weston, Westport, Wilton, and a portion of Shelton.  You can find a map of the district here.

If you aren't sure which Congressional district you live in, please visit the House of Representatives homepage.  Enter your zip code in the box near the map at the upper-right of the House home page to find the name of your representative. 

2. Determine if your issue is under the jurisdiction of a federal agency

Check the quick list of federal agencies below to see if the issue you are dealing with is with one of these agencies.

If you do not see the agency that you are dealing with listed, or you are uncertain, please call 866-453-0028 and a member of my staff will be pleased to assist with your question.

If your particular issue does not fall under the jurisdiction of a federal agency, my staff will try to direct you to the appropriate non-federal agency, resources or services that may be helpful.

If you would like my office to assist you with a federal agency, please click here to fill out the required privacy form. When my office receives the form, we can begin working on your case.

Online Resources

I have prepared web pages to serve as summaries of governmental and non-profit agencies that might be able to help constituents with specific problems.  I've tried to pull together information to address some of the most common inquiries my office receives.  

If you don't find the answers you're looking for, or are experiencing a problem with another agency, please call either of my Connecticut offices. 

Examples of Some Federal Agencies:

  • Social Security Administration (SSA)
  • Help resolve benefit problems
  • Follow up on disability applications
  • Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
  • Help providers or patients with reimbursement problems
  • Get a new card, answer questions about enrollment
  • The Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  • Make inquiries on the status of a delayed refund
  • Help work out a payment plan for taxes owed
  • Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
  • Inquire about delayed benefits
  • Help communicate with a VA Hospital
  • Clarify qualifications for veterans benefits
  • United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the US State Department
  • Determine the status of a delayed citizenship application
  • Help with petitions for relatives of legal residents
  • Provide assistance obtaining passports or visas for travel
  • The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
  • Help make a claim following a natural disaster
  • Inquire with FEMA for potential “repetitive flooding loss” funding
  • The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
  • Provide contact numbers for you to make noise complaints

This is a partial list.  If you need assistance with any federal agency, please contact my office and my staff will do everything possible to help.  Our phone numbers appear at the bottom of this page.  Again, we can't guarantee you a positive outcome, but my office is set up to contact federal agencies and we can probably answer most questions you have.