In the 117th Congress, I’m privileged to Chair the Select Committee on Economic Disparity and Fairness in Growth and serve on the Financial Services Committee and the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.
Financial Services Committee
I am proud to work on the Financial Services Committee to help Connecticut families and businesses. I have served on this committee since my arrival in Congress in 2009. In the 117th Congress, I chair the Subcommittee on National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy. Click here to learn more about my Financial Services work.
I serve on the following subcommittees:
• National Security, International Development and Monetary Policy (Chair)
• Investor Protection, Entrepreneurship and Capital Markets Subcommittee
Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
The Intelligence Committee conducts oversight of the United States Intelligence Community, which includes the intelligence and intelligence-related activities of 17 elements of the US Government, and the Military Intelligence Program. I serve on the following subcommittees:
• Defense Intelligence and Warfighter Support (DIWS) Subcommittee
• Strategic Technologies and Advanced Research (STAR) Subcommittee Select Committee on Economic Disparity and Fairness in Growth
Caucuses are groups of representatives that meet to focus on specific issues or to work together to advance legislation. I am a member of the following organizations:
- New Democrat Coalition, Former Chair: The Coalition works to maintain America’s standing as the world’s strongest and most successful nation. It is dedicated to fostering and harnessing American ingenuity to lead to greater prosperity and security.
- Sustainable Energy and Environment Coalition: The SEEC advances policies that promote clean energy technology innovation and domestic manufacturing, develop renewable energy resources, and create green collar jobs throughout the product supply-chain. It also advances polices to help arrest global warming and protect our nation’s clean air, water and natural environment.
- Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission: The mission of the non-partisan Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission is to promote, defend and advocate internationally recognized human rights.
- Bike Caucus: The Caucus is dedicated to working to provide bikers with safer roads, more bike parking and spreading awareness of the importance of cycling for both transportation and recreation.
- Bi-Partisan Cystic Fibrosis Caucus: The Caucus is dedicated to finding a cure for this common and life-threatening genetic disease through increasing awareness and improving education about the disease among Members of Congress and the public; working to improve the quality of life for individuals with cystic fibrosis; supporting research; encouraging collaboration; and, promoting public policies that address the health care needs of the cystic fibrosis community.
- Congressional Albanian Issues Caucus: The Caucus works to promote the welfare and progress in Albanian populated Balkan territories and strengthen US-Albanian relations through bolstering democratic institutions and human rights protections.
- Congressional Anti-Bullying Caucus: The Caucus is a bipartisan caucus committed to the belief that all communities deserve a safe environment to thrive. This caucus will work to eradicate bullying so that children will have a safe place in which to learn, and adults will have a safe space in which to work.
- Congressional Arts Caucus: The Caucus works on policy initiatives for the arts community, especially by working to secure adequate funding for the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), the Institute for Museums and Library Services (IMLS), and the Department of Education’s Arts in Education Program.
- Congressional Bourbon Caucus: This caucus is dedicated to strengthen the bourbon industry in the United States. It also works to educated members of Congress about issues that affect the industry.
- Congressional Caucus on the Deadliest Cancers: The Caucus raises awareness about the deadliest forms of cancers and advocate for research and other measures to increase survival. Lung, pancreatic and liver cancers are all considered “deadly cancers” with five-year survival rates below 50%. The Caucus will give patients and survivors a support network of lawmakers and health care professionals dedicated to working collaboratively on federal initiatives
- Congressional Community Health Centers Caucus: This caucus provides support to health centers by increasing awareness of their importance and information about their needs.
- Congressional Caucus on Hellenic Issues: Committed to fostering and improving relations between the United States and Greece, the topics the Caucus focuses on include U.S. aid to Greece and Cyprus, the conflict on Cyprus, the status of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, and developments in the Aegean.
- Congressional Caucus on India and Indian-Americans: The Caucus serves as a forum in which Members of Congress can address the issues central to our relationship with this important South Asian nation. By promoting dialogue on issues of interest to the Indian-American community, the Caucus strives to strengthen bilateral relations between the United States and India, promote trade with India, enhance economic development in India and the United States, increase anti-terrorism cooperation.
- Congressional Caucus on Innovation and Entrepreneurship: This caucus works to help small business grow and create job growth. It is also dedicated to education Congress about the importance of innovation and start-up companies in today’s society.
- Congressional Caucus on Poland: The Caucus is devoted to issues affecting Poland, the Polish-American Community, and improving the relationship between the United States and Poland.
- Congressional Caucus on U.S.-Turkish Relations and Turkish Americans: The Caucus serves as a bi-partisan platform for Members to focus on improving US-Turkish relations and on issues that are of specific concern to the Turkish-American community.
- Congressional Diabetes Caucus: The Caucus’s mission is to improve diabetes education in Congress and support legislative activities that will improve diabetes research, education and treatment.
- Congressional Historic Preservation Caucus: The Caucus supports and encourages the preservation and thoughtful economic development of historic places, including revitalization of historic towns, rehabilitation of historic and underutilized buildings and districts, and protection of important state and local landmarks.
- Congressional Kidney Caucus: The Kidney Caucus provides a forum for the discussion of quality of care and life issues, acts as a resource on the scope and impact of kidney disease, and serves as a source of information on public policy initiatives to aid individuals with Chronic Kidney Disease and irreversible kidney failure.
- Congressional Malaria and Neglected Tropical Diseases Caucus: The caucus is a forum for improving U.S. action on the malaria epidemic through: tracking current U.S. and global investments in malaria and NTDs, highlighting best practices for disease control and health diplomacy, and making recommendations for future investments.
- Congressional Multiple Sclerosis Caucus: The Caucus actively engages in discussions about access to quality health care, disability research, raising awareness, promoting education, and increasing MS research.
- Congressional Pediatric Cancer Caucus: The bipartisan Pediatric Cancer Caucus serves as a clearinghouse for information on pediatric cancer and a forum to aid Members of Congress in working together to address pediatric cancer. The Caucus strives to raise awareness about pediatric cancer, advocate in support of measures to prevent the pain, suffering and long-term effects of childhood cancers, and work toward the goal of eliminating cancer as a threat to all children.
- Congressional Pro-Choice Caucus: The Caucus works to protect women's reproductive freedom and to educate the public about reproductive choice.
- Congressional Zoo and Aquarium Caucus: The Caucus seeks to ensure that Congress recognizes the collective impact of America's accredited zoos and aquariums as they promote science education, conservation and family recreation; fosters appreciation for the work of zoos and aquariums as they inspire stewardship, caring and discovery through engaging exhibits and conservation education programs, and; promotes zoos and aquariums as science education partners with the nation's public schools.
- House General Aviation Caucus: “General Aviation” is a catch-all category that includes all non-scheduled, non-military aviation. The purpose of the General Aviation Caucus is to inform Members and staff about the importance of General Aviation to our economy and transportation system. There are more than 223,000 active General Aviation aircraft in the United States, which serve nearly 19,000 small and regional airports, including airports surrounding Connecticut’s fourth district.
- Kurdish-American Caucus: The Caucus works to promote strong Kurdish American relations.
- Congressional Nursing Caucus: This bipartisan caucus provides members of Congress with a forum to discuss issues that affect nurses. It also serves as a source of information and a sounding board for ideas from the nursing community.
- Congressional HIV/AIDS Caucus: This caucus is dedicated to ending the HIV/AIDS epidemic, educating the public about the disease, and improving the lives of those with the disease.
- Animal Protection Caucus: This caucus works to raise awareness of issues related to animal welfare.
- Congressional Baby Caucus: The Caucus is dedicated to addressing the challenges faced by infants and toddlers in military families and works to create public policy that reflects the latest research to support healthy child development.
- Congressional Hellenic Caucus: The Caucus works to improve relations between Greece and the United States. It focuses on diplomatic, military and human rights issues.
- Congressional Olympic and Paralympic Caucus: The Caucus focuses on educating Congress about the goals and sprit of the Olympics. It works to promote healthy and fair competition, expand youth sports, increase diversity in athletics, and support athletes with disabilities.
- Congressional Services Caucus: The Caucus focuses on maintaining the global leadership of U.S. services and on promoting policies that will expand this sector.
- Small Business IT Caucus: The Caucus works to raise awareness about issues that impact small technology companies.
- Long Island Sound Caucus: The Caucus works to address environmental, energy and economic issues that are faced by the Long Island Sound community.
- Land Conservation Caucus: This bipartisan caucus focuses its efforts on educating members of Congress about the conservation and preservation of open space and farm land. It also works to spread awareness of the importance clean air and water for the health of American communities.
- Financial and Economic Literacy Caucus: This caucus is dedicated to spreading awareness of the need for improved financial and economic education, and it works to promote public policy that addresses this need.
- High Performance Building Caucus: Works to heighten awareness and inform policymakers about the major impact buildings have on our health, safety and welfare and the opportunities to design, construct and operate high-performance buildings that reflect our concern for these impacts.
- Livable Communities Caucus: The Caucus works to strengthen relations between the federal government with local communities to improve the quality of life of Americans in these communities. Efforts include working to reduce dependence on oil, protecting the environment, and investing in housing and transportation.
- Military Sexual Assault Prevention Caucus: The caucus convenes to hold hearings and briefings from members of the military and activist organizations to help guide legislative initiatives aimed at preventing and combating sexual assault in the military.
- National Guard and Reserve Components Caucus: This caucus works to ensure that the National Guard and Reserve have adequate resources to carry out their missions overseas, defend our lands at home, and provide support during times of national disasters.
- Next Gen 9-1-1 Caucus: The Caucus works to educate lawmakers, constituents and communities about the importance of citizen-activated emergency response systems.
- Northeast Rail Caucus: This caucus advocates to increase high-speed rail programs in the Northeast.
- Northeast Water, Air, and Waste Management Caucus: The Caucus consists of members from the Northeast who are committed to preserving critical air and water resources for the region.
- Sudan Caucus: The Caucus is dedicated to serving as a central location for information on developments in Sudan, for purposes of coordinating congressional action and partnering with constituency groups in support of comprehensive peace.