Washington, DC— Last night, the House of Representatives voted 368-57 to provide an additional $39.8 billion in support of the Ukrainian military and global humanitarian efforts.
“We are witnessing the great struggle of our lifetime,” said Congressman Jim Himes (CT-04). “It is morally incumbent on the United States and other free nations of the world to stand up for democracy in the face of a brutal attack by an authoritarian regime. Our resolve will not waver.”
Major provisions in the bill include:
- $18.3 billion in global assistance to address food prices, shortages, and insecurity cause by the Russian attack of Ukraine
- $6 billion for training, equipment, weapons, supplies, and intelligence to the Ukrainian military forces
- $8.7 billion to replace US equipment and weapons that are sent to Ukraine
- $4 billion for mission and intelligence support for US troops in the region including hardship pay
- $900 million for refugee support, housing, and other services
“This support will not only put some of the most advanced weaponry in the world in the hands of Ukrainian freedom fighters, but will also help address the global disruption caused by the conflict,” said Himes. “Our goal is to bring a swift end to this conflict by showing the Russians the price in blood and treasure is too high.”
With any questions or comments, please contact Patrick Malone at Patrick.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congressman Jim Himes represents Connecticut’s 4th District, which includes the communities of Bridgeport, Darien, Easton, Fairfield, Greenwich, Monroe, New Canaan, Norwalk, Oxford, Redding, Ridgefield, Shelton, Stamford, Trumbull, Weston, Westport, and Wilton.