CT Awarded Individual Disaster Assistanc
WASHINGTON—Senators Chris Dodd, Joe Lieberman and the entire Connecticut congressional delegation announced Saturday that individuals in Fairfield, New Haven, New London, Middlesex and Windham counties that were affected by storms and heavy flooding in March, April and May can now apply for federal disaster assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
“The heavy storms that struck our state in recent months have caused millions of dollars in damages not just to Connecticut’s highways, bridges and roads, but to people’s homes and belongings,” said Dodd. “Now, Connecticut residents will be able to apply for this vital federal funding that will help them make critical repairs to their houses and personal property. I encourage all those who were affected by the spring’s severe weather to apply as soon as possible by calling 800-621-3362 or logging onto DisasterAssistance.gov to file a claim.”
Lieberman said: “FEMA’s latest decision is great news for the people of Connecticut whose homes were damaged by heavy rains this spring. I am pleased to have had the opportunity to work with both the state and FEMA to ensure that residents from Fairfield to New London receive the aid they not only need, but are entitled to, in order to make their homes whole again.”
"I am very pleased that President Obama has made the decision to enable Connecticut homeowners, renters, and businesses impacted by March's severe storms to receive federal disaster assistance," said Rep. Rosa DeLauro. "This decision will enable our residents and employers to recover and move forward, and I applaud our state emergency responders and officials in their efforts to secure these essential funds."
Rep. John Larson said: “I am pleased that FEMA has correctly reversed their decision to offer individuals and homeowners essential federal assistance and resources. The clean-up process from the devastating spring storms continues today and now residents in the hardest hit areas will have the support to move forward.”
Rep. Chris Murphy said: "This welcomed news reinforces what we in Connecticut already knew - these storms had a devastating effect on homeowners and the communities they live in. Federal dollars will help many people repair their property and recover."
"This is great and long overdue news for eastern Connecticut,” Rep. Joe Courtney said. “Having seen the damage for myself firsthand after the storm, I knew how clear the need was. It was a bad call from the beginning to deny Connecticut’s appeal based solely on state boundaries. Since the initial rejection, I have worked with state officials, the Connecticut Department of Homeland Security, my colleagues and the Governor to build a strong case for appeal. I have been closely and repeatedly in contact with the White House throughout the process, and made one last direct plea for assistance on the day the appeal was submitted. Finally with this ruling, the people who were affected by these terrible storms can begin to put the pieces back together."
"Property owners in Southwest Connecticut were hit hard by our storms this spring," said Rep. Jim Himes. "I'm pleased FEMA appreciates the impact this disaster has had on our families and communities and will be partnering with us to rebuild our neighborhoods and homes."
Last month, President Obama issued a major disaster declaration for the State of Connecticut, triggering the release of federal funds to help communities recover from severe storms that struck the area between March 12 and May 17. That disaster declaration has been amended to include individuals in the five previously listed counties. People with disaster-related damages can apply for federal assistance by calling 800-621-3362, TTY 800-462-7585 for people with speech or hearing disabilities, or online at http://www.disasterassistance.gov.