Congressman Himes Announces 2019 Service Academy Nominations
Bridgeport, CT - It is my pleasure to announce my office is now accepting applications for the 2019 Service Academy Nominations.
Students between the ages of 17 to 23 in Connecticut’s Fourth District are encouraged to apply online by October 4th in order to be considered for a nomination.
The United States Service Academies are federal academies whose mission is to educate and train future officers of our prestigious Armed Forces. While attending one of the five service academies you will receive an outstanding education and a full four-year scholarship that includes tuition, books, room and board, medical and dental care.
Interested candidates can apply to any of the five academies across the United States:
- The United States Military Academy (USMA) in West Point, New York.
- The United States Naval Academy (USNA) in Annapolis, Maryland.
- The United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- The United States Coast Guard Academy (USCGA) in New London, Connecticut.
- The United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) in Kings Point, New York.
Graduates of all service academies receive a bachelor’s degree, leave as commissioned officers in their respective service branches, and are required to serve a minimum of five years.
Nominations are highly competitive and consists of the following criteria:
- High school academic performance
- Exceptional standardized test scores (SAT or ACT)
- Athletics and extracurricular activities
- Leadership experience and community involvement
- A congressional letter of recommendation (not required by the Coast Guard Academy)
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Joshua Rodriguez in my Bridgeport office at (203) 333-6600 or Joshua.Rodriguez@mail.house.gov.