Representing the 4th District of Connecticut

Social Media Icons Fontawesome Small Header

Twitter Facebook YouTube Follow Jim Hines on RSS

Resources for individuals looking to leave Afghanistan

Individuals seeking to flee Afghanistan must file an application for assistance. If they don’t have any outstanding petitions filed, they should review their eligibility for the following programs and use the resources listed below to find additional information.

Information on Afghanistan Inquiries

Review the latest information from the State Department

SIV Eligibility

Review information on the SIV program here.       

SIV Resources:

  • If you have not yet received Chief of Mission (COM) approval for your SIV application and have questions on how to receive COM approval, please email NVC at
  • If you have received COM approval for your SIV application and have questions regarding the filing of your official Form I-360 petition, please contact the USCIS Nebraska Service Center at
  • If you have an approved Form I-360 petition and have questions regarding your case status, please email the NVC at
  • If you have questions about your SIV interview, please contact NVC at or the U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside of
  • Afghanistan nearest to you. You can find a list of our U.S. Embassies and Consulates at
  • If you would like information about SIV resettlement benefits and post-arrival services, please contact the Refugee Processing Center at
  • If you are a supervisor (or former supervisor) of an SIV applicant and would like to submit information in support of the pending visa application, please contact

P-2 Eligibility

Information for Afghan nationals regarding the P-2 designation and instructions for U.S.-based media and U.S. NGOs to submit P-2 referrals are available here.

United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)

Information for refugees and asylum-seekers in Afghanistan.

Humanitarian Parole

Review the necessary forms via the State Department here.


U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents can help certain relatives immigrate to the United States by filing an I-130 petition. The I-130 “Petition for Alien Relative” is one of the most common forms processed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Notably and unfortunately, the processing time for I-130 petitions can range from over a year to multiple years.