Tropical Storm Isaias
Southwest Connecticut was shocked by Tropical Storm Isaias. Hundreds of thousands have lost power around the state. My office has been in touch with both Eversource and United Illuminating to insist they move expeditiously to make repairs and produce a restoration timeline for those without power. We have gone through historic storms time and time again, and our utilities MUST do a better job in preparation, communication and restoration going forward.
If you’ve lost power, report it immediately:
Text OUT to 23129
United Illuminating customers:
If you see a downed powerline line:
Always assume the line is live
Stay 35 feet away
Never drive over a downed line
Road closures and safety
To protect the safety of work crews clearing roads and restoring power, please stay off the roads except in emergency situations. If you need to drive, find information about road closures here: https://cttravelsmart.org/List/Alerts. Remember, many stoplights are without power, please use extreme caution when driving.
Staying safe at home:
All generators should only be used outside, in a well-ventilated area, and 15 ft away from windows, doors, or vents.
Throw away food that has come into contact with storm water, not been refrigerated for over 4 hours, or has an unusual smell or texture. Click here to learn more.
If you are in need of groceries or meal deliveries, call social services at 203-256-3170 (I think this is Town of Fairfield exclusively, right?)
Call 2-1-1 anywhere in the state or visit 211ct.org for information on emergency meals or other health services. Text for resources: CTWARM, CTFOOD, CTRECOVERY to 8898211
Cooling Stations and Showers:
- John Margenot Atrium located in the Town of Greenwich Public Safety Complex, 11 Bruce Place, cooling and charging station
- Greenwich Senior Center at 299 Greenwich Ave. from Monday through Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Lapham Community Center, Waveny Park, New Canaan, CT 06840 (Internet access, charging and cooling for seniors only
- The Fairfield Parks and Recreation building is available for residents without power to use the shower facilities by appointment. Call 203.256.3191. The showers will be cleaned after each use per COVID guidelines. Hours will be 5:30 am - 9:30 p.m. Monday - Friday, and 7 am - 5 pm Saturday and Sunday.
• Cloonan Middle School, 11 W North Street (back of the building)
• Dolan Middle School, 51 Toms Road
• Hart Elementary School, 61 Adams Avenue
• Northeast Elementary School, 82 Scofieldtown Road
• Scofield Magnet Middle School, 641 Scofieldtown Road
• Springdale Elementary School, 1127 Hope Street
• Toquam Elementary School, 123 Ridgewood Avenue
• Stamford High School, 55 Strawberry Hill Avenue (back of the building)
• Westhill High School, 125 Roxbury Road (front side parking lot).
*Please contact my office at (202) 225-5541 if you have any further information regarding charging or cooling stations that are available for public use in the Fourth District.*
Remember to continue to social distance and wear a mask if you are outside your home. Additionally, this is an important time to check in on people who live alone and elderly friends, family, and neighbors.